Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Not Invited

My researches have led me to discover someone who loves wool and natural fibre even more than I do. Normally, I would be thrilled to have someone like this over for a cup of tea and a chat, but this someone is definitely NOT INVITED.

This wool lover is known as the case making clothes moth. These little nasties are none too fussy, and will feast on grain as well as pretty much any natural fibre, including the wool felt inside the piano, dog hair hiding under baseboards, and dessicated dead mice or old bird nests in the walls and attic. The moths are nondescript and shy, preferring dark corners. They themselves are not really the problem . It is , of course, their offspring that do the damage. From their microscopic eggs, little hungry larvae emerge. These make themselves protective silken cases, in which they hide, and which they drag around with them as they feed. The case can apparently take on the colouration of dyed fibre they are munching too, which can make them hard to spot.

Just like their cousins, the webbing clothes moth, they prefer things which are less than clean, and they thrive in dark corners. They dislike extremes of cold or heat, nor do they like overly dry conditions.

Knowing more about these miniature monsters has not made me happy, but I am trying to maintain perspective. It seems that the best way to avoid them is to keep wool and other fibres clean, dry and well aired, preferably in the light, or sealed up in impenetrable plastic or possibly cedar chests when they have to be stored. Frequent vacuuming to avoid build up of tasty deposits of woolly lint is also recommended. Apparently lavender is one of the scents that they dislike, so sachets may help deter them as well.

Temperamentally, I will admit that I am not suited to the job of housekeeper. I am not especially bothered by clutter and I'd rather draw than dust. But in the interest of preserving a year's worth of hand raised, hand shorn and plucked, hand processed yarn and fibre, I will happily deploy my vacuum cleaner and hone my cleaning skills. Unlike the clothing moth, I actually like a clean, well-lighted, dust-free and lavender scented house. I just never had such a compelling excuse to keep it up.

I would love to hear from anyone who has any tips or pointers on how to keep these pests at bay, especially non-toxic deterrents and practices.

An article about managing clothes moths can be found here. More information on the case making clothes moth, which is also a grain pest, can be found at the Government of Canada Grain Commission website here.

No comments:

Post a Comment